Eliminate Internet Distractions With SelfControl

Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM
Okay, I admit it, I have a problem. Whenever I'm working on an important paper, I feel compelled to check up on my library of internet distractions about once every two sentences.

Clearly, I need help.

Well, luckily help has arrived in the form of the free OS X app SelfControl. The app works by allowing you to block the websites that distract you the most for an amount of time you specify. The block won't even break if you reboot your machine. (I've *ahem* tested this feature.)


What I like most about this app over other programs like Freedom, is that it allows you to block specific websites like Facebook, Twitter, and ESPN instead of just blocking the internet outright. That way, I can still look something up on Wikipedia or use my AirTunes speakers.

Unfortunately, the icon is a little ugly, but you can do as I've done and replace it with a Jolly Roger flag from this PixelPress Icons set.

Does using SelfControl mean that you have self control? Probably the opposite, but it's a good way to keep yourself focused on your tasks.

(via Lifehacker)

3 comments

  1. Mulhuzz Says:

    win. I'd have one of these if my AirPort hadn't blown up yesterday meaning I have no internetz from my imac anyway. Ha.

  2. Owen Says:

    @Mulhuzz Uh oh, looks like you're going to be extremely productive for the foreseeable future.

  3. Julia Says:

    You just may have saved my thesis, Owen Berliner.

Post a Comment

Copyright 2010 Desktop Maven | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Layout by MB Web Design | Coded by Cahaya Biru